Filipino travelers who wish to visit Japan should hold a visa before their departure. As always, we’ve collected nuggets of information on how to successfully apply for a general tourist Japan visa. From Japan visa requirements to the application process, we’ve got a plethora of handy tips to help you secure this essential travel document.
What are the Japan visa requirements?
The general Japan visa requirements for single and multiple entry tourist visa application to Japan are quite simple. For a single-entry visa, the required documents are:
- An original Philippine passport with at least two blank pages. The passport must have at least 6-month validity period upon your arrival in Japan. Make sure your passport is in good condition and not broken.
- Duly signed and filled out application form. You can download the form here. Do not leave any field blank and write N/A (not applicable) if you don’t have the answer to the question.
- Recent photograph (taken maximum within six months) measuring 4.5 x 4.5 cm with white background. Applicants should write their name and date of birth on the back side of the photo.
- PSA-certified birth certificate issued within one year (maximum)
- PSA-certified marriage certificate (for married applicants)
- Daily schedule or tour itinerary during your stay in Japan. A sample form can be downloaded here.
- Recent bank certificate (the latest three months)
- Original and copy version of Income Tax Return (ITR)
Please note that all documents should be submitted in A4 size. All documents must be original unless stated otherwise. After you have completed all the papers, the next step will be choosing an agency.
A request for multiple Japan visa application should be completed with explanation letter for requesting multiple entry visas.
By the way, before we continue we’d just like to say that the purpose of this article is to guide you through the requirements and steps on how get a tourist visa to Japan. For info on other types of Japan visa, visit the official Japanese embassy website.
The tourist Japan visa requirements and application can be submitted directly to the Japanese embassy in the following places:
Embassy of Japan
– Weekdays, from 8:40 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Cebu and Davao Consular Office
– Weekdays, from 8:40 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
If the purpose of your travel visit is not listed above, the Japanese government has appointed authorized agencies to help Filipinos submit their Japan visa application as follows:
- Universal Holidays
- Discovery Tour, Inc.
- Rajah Travel Corporation
- Reli Tours & Travel Agency
- Attic Tours Phils, Inc.
- Friendship Tours & Resorts Corporation
- Pan Pacific Travel Corporation
Each agency has different service hour and the price tag for every visa submitted. The safest bet is to visit the office during the weekdays, Monday to Friday at 8 a.m. and don’t forget to bring your documents to save the trip. For a complete list of authorized agencies, you can visit this page. Once you visit the embassy or authorized travel agency, you will receive the 8-digit acceptance number used to verify your application status.
Do I need to schedule an appointment for my Japan visa application?
There is no need to schedule an appointment to submit your Japan visa application. It is suggested, though, for applicants to call the agency first before heading to the office. You may confirm their available service hours, documents required, and other useful information.
How long is the processing time?
In general, the processing timeline of a general tourist visa application is completed within one week or 5 working days. If you don’t hear any news within the specified time or the passport has not returned, you may confirm your application status using the 8-digit number.
How much does a visa application cost?
You need to pay the handling fee by the authorized agency aside from the fee collected by the embassy. In general, the Japan visa fees are different from one agency to another. You are suggested to contact them prior your application submission. For other info about Japan visa application fee, you may visit this page.
What If my Japan visa application got rejected?
Worried that your Japan visa application might gets rejected? Guess what? Re-application is allowed after six months. The embassy will, however, require additional documents. In addition, applicants will be given three months period to submit the supporting data. Otherwise, the request will be terminated.
This information is correct as of 15 June 2019