Be a part of the highly anticipated Golden Jubilee weekend at Singapore this August! As part of the SG 50 celebrations, from August 7 to 10, 2015, the Lion City will be bursting with festivities, diversions, promotions and even freebies that will bring bliss to its locals and visitors. Skyscanner has rounded up the top 13 reasons why shouldn’t miss this once-in-a-lifetime celebration in Singapore.
1. An opportunity to see an unforgettable aerial spectacle
A visit to Singapore during the SG50 weekend is a chance for you to witness a dazzling display of world-class aerial acrobatics. Every 12 noon, from August 7 to 9, the Black Knights, the elite aerobatic troop of The Republic of Singapore Air Force, will be creating thunderous sounds as well as thrilling bystanders with jaw-dropping aerial maneuvers and stunts.
Read more: Things to do in Singapore that Pinoys love
Photo credit: Shu Yen Kor
2. Free pass to the city’s top museums
History buffs and culture vultures will be treated to an insightful sensory extravaganza for free during the long SG50 weekend. As a way to celebrate the city’s beautiful and colorful 50-year heritage, Singapore, throughout its jubilee weekend, will be waiving the entry fees to over a dozen heritage galleries and museums, like:
- Marina Barrage – Sustainable Singapore Gallery
- Singapore City Gallery
- CD Heritage Gallery
- Sports Museum
- Malay Heritage Centre
- Reflections at Bukit Chandu
- Singapore Philatelic Museum
- Indian Heritage Centre
- Asian Civilizations Museum
- National Museum of Singapore
Read more: 10 best things to do in Taipei
Photo credit: Syed Omar Fadzil
3. SG50 lets you experience Sentosa for free
Speaking of freebies, did you know that entrance to Sentosa is free from March to December 31, 2015? Yes folks, Pinoys can experience this euphoric wonderland without spending a dime via the Sentosa Boardwalk. What’s more, Sentosa will be hosting a bunch of promotions to celebrate Singapore’s 50th birthday, including free events and huge discounts on admissions. As a matter of fact, you can even hop on a cable car in Sentosa, and snap pictures of Singapore’s fabulous scenery for free, on August 10 from 9 am to 10 pm.
By the way, here are three more freebies you can enjoy while you are in Sentosa during SG50:
- Free admission to the show “Wings of Time”on August 7 at 8:40 pm
- Zero fee to Sentosa’s Merlion on August 8, from 10 am to 8 pm
- Guided tours with no charge of Fort Siloso on August 10, from 8:45 am to 10 pm
- From July to August 10, you can catch Sentosa’s eye-catching sand sculpture exhibition, which features the iconic monuments and moments in Singapore over the past 50 years.
Photo credit: Adam Zuberi
4. Attractions at the Marina Bay are discounted
A 50 percent discount on the admission tickets to Marina Bay’s Cloud Forest and Flower Dome will be given to everyone during the SG50 weekend.
Photo credit: cks2k2
5. A glut of entertaining programs at Marina Bay Area
From art installations to workshops and local performances, there are plenty of lively programs in store for everyone during SG50 at the Marina Bay area. Plus, there will be picnics organized by the Families for Life at the Marina Barrage. To top it all off, Gardens by the Bay will have a special SG50 edition of their highly acclaimed Garden Rhapsody music and light show.
Want more? Here are a few more programs that can give you a fun and pleasant experience during Singapore’s big weekend.
- Fireworks displays
- 2015 Community Chest Heartstrings Walk
- National Day Parade on August 9 from Padang to Gardens by the Bay
Photo credit: Jazpar Yeo
6. A convivial way to experience Singapore’s history
Want to get a sweet taste of Singapore’s fascinating history? On August 8 and 9, the Singapore Sports hub will be hosting a convivial community carnival, which is open for free to everyone. With this festive jamboree, Singaporeans get to relive their childhood as well as their old Kampung days.Of course, experiencing this shindig is also a fun and colorful way for Pinoys to delve into the culture and heritage of Singapore.
Read more: 7 cool places to escape the heat
Photo credit: lightmeister
7. A galore of food promotions
Fittingly nicknamed as a foodie’s paradise, Singapore is a multi-cultural city known globally for its extreme fondness for food. And guess what? For SG50, Singapore will host a ton of food promotions and events that will surely please your gastronomic urges. Whether you’re in the mood for something spicy, sweet or nutritious, SG50 has a food promotion or event to tickle your taste buds and fill your stomach.
Here are a few food promotions during SG50 that Juans will like:
- JuzBread, Nakery Cuisine, Ya Kun Kaya Toast and other traditional breakfast joints will offer discounts up to 50 percent on their meals. Likewise, special food items in these joints will be launched for Singapore’s golden anniversary.
- Hua Ting, Lewin Terrance and Swensen’s will have special SG50 set meals and dishes for this jubilee celebration. Furthermore, Kun Kaya Toast plans on unveiling a new surprise local dish for the SG50 weekend.
- Orchard Hotel’s Intermezzo Bar will serve special SG50 cocktails.
Read more: 10 Best Food Finds in Binondo, Manila
Photo credit: Fred @ SG
8. Free entrance to the Singapore Science Center
You won’t have to pay a peso to catch sight of the ultra cool exhibits displayed at the Singapore Science Center. From August 7 to 10, all entrance fees to this treasure trove will be waived. As an added bonus, the Singapore Science Center will also be giving free access to their gated attractions, such as the Omnitheatre, KidsStop and Snow City.
Read more: 15 free things to do in Singapore
Photo credit: Heng Hau Yeo
9. Free entry to the ActiveSG gyms
Don’t want to miss a workout when traveling to Singapore during this festive anniversary? Flex your muscles, break a sweat and get a heart-pumping workout at any of ActiveSg gyms for free. You can throw in a few laps in the pool too since access to the swimming pools from ActiveSg will be free for everyone as well.
Photo credit: Daniel Quek
10. Flights to Singapore are nowhere as expensive as you think
You don’t have to pay top dollar to fly to Singapore, and experience an amazing and memorable SG50 getaway. With Skyscanner’s super search tools and dynamic mobile apps, you can find round-trip tickets that are so cheap that even the most kuripot Pinoys can afford to buy them.
11. Even deluxe hotels are offering big discounts during SG50
Worried about the costs of your accommodations? Thankfully, most of the ritzy hotels in Singapore will be offering discounts and special packages to their food and accommodations on SG50. Meritus Hotel, Pan Pacific Hotel, Ritz-Carlton Hotel and the Fullerton Bay Hotel are just some of the hotels that will be giving away fantastic bargains to their guests during this much-awaited long weekend.
Read more: 10 most romantic hotels in the Philippines
Photo credit: goCNX
12. Discounted admissions to SG’s wildlife reserves
Are you an animal lover? For the entire month of August, locals and tourists can enjoy discounts on admissions to Singapore’s lush wildlife reserves, including the Singapore Zoo, River Safari, Night Safari and Jurong Bird Park.
Read more: 9 places to go to see cute animals
Photo credit: Terry Feuerborn
13. More freebies at the Singapore Botanic Garden
The Singapore Botanic Garden has a series of activities lined up to showcase its botanical and culture heritage, including workshops and trails. Moreover, the mesmerizing National Orchid Garden will be open for free for the whole SG50 weekend!
Read more: Top 10 parks in Manila for relaxing picnics
Photo credit: Choo Yut Shing